How to check your house for a water leakAug 26, 2011
At Rooter Man we have many customers call who have received a significantly higher water bill than usual. Most customers are unaware that a leak is occurring somewhere in their home until the bill arrives. We reassure them that we can help, but there are a few simple things they can do to determine if it is a water leak. Try these things while you wait for a licensed plumber to arrive.
- Turn all water using appliances OFF. This includes inside and outside the house. Some examples of water using appliances are showers, sinks, washing machines, sprinkler systems, hoses, ice-makers and water heaters.
- Go to the water meter outside it should have a hand that moves clockwise and/or numbers that roll in an upward direction
- If the hand is spinning and the numbers are moving you have a water leak
- If the hand is not spinning and numbers are not moving make note of the position (take a picture with your cell phone) and check back in about 10 minutes. If the numbers have changed and the and position has changed you have a slow leak
- If nothing has changed the large increase in water use is probably not a leak, but calling a licensed plumber to verify your results is always the best alternative
Rooter Man is available Monday through Sunday call us at 504-262-8222!
From roots in our storm drain, to clogs in our … Read More